Guidelines for 2017 Dickinson House fellowship applications
Dickinson House is pleased to offer three fellowships to writers and one fellowship to a visual artist for the 2018 residency season. These fellowships (all two-week residencies) waive the residency fee (room and board). Fellows are responsible for travel costs, their own insurance and visa fees, and any incidentals. APPLY HERE.
Fellowships are awarded based on merit and need. People of color, women, and lgbtq people are especially encouraged to apply.
You do not need to apply for a residency separately if you apply for a fellowship. Your fellowship application constitutes application for residency. Have institutional support or independent means? Consider applying for a fee-paying residency instead. These make our fellowship program possible.
To apply for a 2018 fellowship, via Submittable, upload one PDF document containing the following in this order:
- A brief essay that tells us why you’re applying to come to Dickinson House at this point in your work. What can we offer you—and what will you bring? Show us you’re familiar with the space and its ethos. Excite us about having you here in community. (500 words)
- Your plans for your residency. (200 words)
- If applicable: a statement of financial/circumstantial need. Financial/ circumstantial need is a major determinant for this fellowship. (300 words)
- On their own page: your email address, postal address, and phone number, as well as any dates you are not available to be in residence (in 2018 we will be open in late May, June, July, August, and September).
- Writers only: no more than ten separately paginated pages of recent work (any genre or anything in between genres; ‘separately paginated’ means that the first page of your work sample should be numbered 1 and the last 10). We will not read any pages beyond the first ten.
- Visual artists only: a link to an anonymized gallery of up to ten images/up to five minutes of video.
- Applications are open from June 1 until September 15 (Belgian time). From June 1-30 (Belgian time), there is no application fee. From July 1 until September 15, the fee is €15 (about $17). The application link is here.
All applications are anonymized. Do not leave any identifying marks on your application materials. Applications with identifiers (name, etc.) will not be read by the jury. Please do, however, indicate clearly if you belong to a demographic which Dickinson House wishes to serve: writers of color, women writers, lgbtq writers.
[Thanks to Kim Coleman Foote for her help revising and shaping the application process.]