Dickinson House is located on approximately one hectare of land on the banks of the Leie River, within the municipality of Zulte, in the Leiestreek, a region in rural East Flanders, Belgium. The region is extremely bicycle- and foot-friendly; it also benefits from links with local, national, and international public transit.
We are about an hour from Brussels by car or about an hour and forty-five minutes from Brussels by train (to Deinze, our nearest station). We welcome visitors who come by car, train or bicycle (from France or the Netherlands this is very possible for experienced cyclists). We have bicycles for residents’ use during their stays.
- From England or France: Eurostar to Lille Europe, then local train from Lille Flandres to Deinze, changing in Kortrijk (Courtrai). There is a 500-meter walk between the Lille stations.
- From Brussels National Airport (Zaventem): local train (direction De Panne/La Panne) from Brussels to Deinze. Buy your ticket in the airport (there’s a ticket machine in the baggage area and others in the station).
- From Charleroi: information here. You will need a train ticket from Charleroi-Sud to Deinze. Bus from the airport to the train station.
- Arrange a taxi from Deinze to Dickinson House. There is no taxi rank; taxis must be pre-booked. We work with Taxi Rousseau; email them (firstname.lastname@example.org) no fewer than two weeks prior to your arrival to arrange collection. They will need the arrival time and number of your train. Fare from Deinze to Dickinson House will be about €14, payable in cash or by card in the taxi. It is very important to book your taxi well in advance, because Rousseau works only by reservation on Sundays.
Train prices don’t change over time (standard fare always applies/no discounts for early purchases). Information: http://www.nmbs.be.
- From Deinze: you can take the number 75 bus from Deinze train station to the Olsene Kasteel stop (about 15 minutes), then walk or book a taxi (see above). It’s about two kilometers. Here is a map of how to walk from the bus stop to Dickinson House; disregard the ’31’ in the destination—it really does bring you to Dickinson House (34). Bus fare is €3, payable in exact change on the bus.
- From elsewhere in Europe: Eurolines stops in Kortrijk. You can take the number 75 bus from Kortrijk, direction Deinze, to the Olsene Kasteel stop (about 45 minutes).
You are welcome to come in your own car. We have plenty of parking; drive right up and park near the garage. Google Maps is a good bet for directions; be aware that not all GPS systems can find the house (many will steer you down to the other end of D’Hoyestraat). Look for the dead-end street. We’re at the very end of it.
Dickinson House is not responsible for theft or damage to automobiles or their contents.
Checkout at Dickinson House is 10 a.m. on the final day of your residency; taxi pickup will be promptly 10 a.m. as well. Your departure taxi can be arranged for you (and sharing is possible).
It is about a 20-minute ride from here to Deinze, so don’t plan on catching a train earlier than the 10:52 a.m. one on your departure day (given time to purchase a ticket, if necessary, etc.).
While you wait: there is a café (hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, pastries) in the Deinze station, and a lunch counter selling ‘belegde broodjes’ (sandwiches on baguettes) and warm food just down the street (follow the direction of train travel toward the T-junction; the lunch counter is on the right-hand side near the end of the block). Cash only.
* * *